Saturday, February 1, 2014

Sleep buddies

In case you are wondering, this is still our current sleep situation.


I write this as my kids are playing peek a boo and giggling in their beds. 

I'm honestly surprised by how well it is working. The kids go to bed at the same time so getting ready for bed is easier for me to do alone, and more fun for honey and myself to do as a family. We go upstairs, brush teeth, put on diapers and pjs, sit on Brady's floor/Abigail's mattress, profess our love for each other, read a story, and say a prayer. Then we turn out the light and Abigail is all tucked in under her covers.  I pop a binky in Brady's mouth as he literally dives into his crib, and walk out the door, shutting it most of the way behind me. It can take as long or as short as we want it to and it is so cozy and fun. I strongly prefer bedtime when they're in the same room. 

During the night, I have no problems with them being in the same room. Just this past week, Abigail has started to be more consistent about sleeping through the night (sometimes she comes to my room and keeps whispering at me to come lay with her. I mainly mumble randomness and keep tossing and turning to go backs o sleep. This works surprisingly well because there is no confrontation and after a few minutes, she gives up and runs back upstairs. Seeing her little footie pj self marching back upstairs is one of the cutest things ever although I have no idea why. I was actually shocked by how cute it is. But anyways, she's slept through the last two nights and instead of the kids both waking up at 7:30, they are slowly creeping back to their original wake times. This week they've been waking up between 8:45 and 9 and playing for 20-30 minutes before Brady cries or Abigail comes to get me (normally to tell me that Brady is crying). Once this week, we didn't get up til almost 10, today the kids woke around 9 and we will probably get up at 9:30. I'm watching them on the monitor now and Abigail is singing abc's to her literally captive audience. She also loves to read him books and play peek a boo. 

Nighttime works so well for two reasons. First, because if Abigail wakes up, she's quiet. If she wakes up scared, she can just tiptoe out of the room and down the stairs to try her [unsuccessful] hand at waking me up. And second, because Brady ways sleeps through the night, but if he has a hard time going to sleep, his crying doesn't wake Abigail up. Like if I out them both down at 7:45 but then Brady starts crying at 8 because he can't fall asleep for whatever reason, it's totally okay because Abigail has already passed out and that kid sleeps like a log. Yesterday Brady's sleep was all screwed up and he had a hard time going to sleep when I put the kids down. But it didn't matter because Abigail had had Elle over for a movie night party and they stayed up late playing so Abigail was literally crying and begging me to just put her to sleep. I comforted Brady a few times, but I had no problem letting him scream and cry in there either. 

And although going to sleep and during the night are easier than anticipated, morning time is more difficult than I'd expected. They always wake up at the same time. I think a few times, Abigail has woken Brady up because she wanted to play, but most of the time, I think Brady wakes up and his talking is the thing to alert Abigail that it's morning and time to get up. But as long as it's after 8:30, I'm totally okay with that. The week of 7:30 was kind of a stretch for me. 

Anyways, Abigail called out at 9:29 exactly to tell me that they were awake. Bam. And now she's singing songs in the bathroom while Brady waits in his crib all confused about his disappearing friend. It's 9:35, why do I have such a hard time getting out of my bed. Maybe summertime will be easier when I'm not leaving my warm bed and venturing into the cold?  I can hope, right? 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd go ahead and put her bed in there.