Wednesday, August 16, 2017

big kid Brady

I keep having moments lately where I'm more aware that I'm becoming a mom of "big kids."  most of my friends in the ward have kids that are older than mine and they're always telling me how nice it is to have "big kids" that are more independent and can help out around the house and watch their "little kids."  because of this, I'm not the mom that gets too sad about kids growing up.  I realize there are good things in all ages.  

so here are my big kids... with backpacks... all ready for another day of school.  when we picked Abigail up from school, she climbed in the back seat and the first thing she said was "how was your second day of school?" and Brady responded "great!" because that seems to be his word of choice about preschool and my heart just melted.  it was like they were friends!

when I got home, I just had one sleeping baby and one only child Elizabeth. so, instead of going inside for breakfast, I let Elizabeth eat outside while we waited for my visiting teachers to come.

she was just so precious.

I loved having my visiting teachers, as always.  the very best thing that they do for me is just to come to my house and hang out with me.  I'm finding that talking to friends is really necessary for me right now.  I barely get to see honey.  he's been traveling and even when he's home, he's been weighed down by work stuff.  and we've got four little kids to juggle for dinner and bedtime and by the time everyone is asleep and the house is picked up, it's just late.  so... thank goodness for my visiting teachers today to provide me with some adult interaction.

I've been trying to figure out when I could manage a trip to sprouts.  they have double ad Wednesdays, which are great, but the timing isn't because honey is always at the church on Wednesday nights.  last time I went to sprouts with all the kids, it was a complete circus.  so I contemplated going this afternoon while the kids were napping and just having Janel's daughter come to stay at the house for me. for whatever reason, it didn't feel right.  so I thought I could just go when Brady was in school and I'd only have two kids.  but they're my youngest two and they fill up a whole cart so I wouldn't have anywhere to put my food.  and then I thought, oh! I could go right when I get Brady from school and he can help me! he can push our cart of food while I push our cart of kids!  so that's what we did.  last time at sprouts that's what we did but it was a little more hectic because Abigail was with us and she kept aggravating everyone and walking around with her nose in her fairy book, which kind of caused problems with running into other shoppers.  but just having the three was great and I thought, "I really do have a big kid!" because Brady was more of an asset than a dependent.  it was so great.

also, Brady and Abigail put away their own laundry and it's the greatest thing ever.  Brady is more likely to throw a fit about it or complain that it's too hard, but he doesn't do that often.  Abigail almost always does it without complaining so I've just had to learn to be okay with how she does it.  she hangs her shirts, but literally everything else just gets tossed in the correct drawer.  she doesn't fold pants, skirts, shorts, bloomer shorts or match up socks or stack her undies.  just tosses everything in.  today, I put away all of her laundry for her except her shirts and I did it her way... it was actually fantastic... it took like two seconds.  she's really on to something. but Brady... he's a bit more careful so it's more of a pain for him... didn't matter today though because he did it so cheerfully.


Elizabeth hates going to bed.  it's just become a joke for all of us now.

Brady loves his short haircut and always requests gel in it.  along with as many other hair products as he can con me into.  I think on Sunday he may have had four different products in his hair.  anyway, he's pretty protective of it that it doesn't get messed up and checks it gently to make sure it's still crunchy.  today he asked me to take a close up picture of his hair so he could see it.  we had to zoom in because this wasn't close enough for him.

Andrew woke up for once and joined us outside for some camp chair fun.

soon enough, he'll be riding that fourth little bike out there.

I can't believe I have four kids.  I have to say it often to remind myself and it still doesn't feel real.  I wonder if it ever will.  I look at my three oldest though and it warms my heart that they all play with each other and do things together.

this little babe makes me so happy.  the best reason NOT to wear footie pjs?  baby feet.

Christopher picked up Andrew and I quickly snapped a shot.  my running joke is that Andrew has no idea who he is.  I swear they never see each other but they did for a moment today and good thing I was there to document it.

Elizabeth is hilarious.  and a handful.  she's also teething (if there was any doubt before, the teething poop today confirmed it) and is extra whiny and opinionated and easily offended. so it's a really good thing she's so funny.

she's also into phones.  really really into phones.

for dinner, I made this recipe for the first time.  http://andreadekker.com/mango-salsa-chicken/   I'm going to try to make dinner more regularly now that school has started.  we'll see how it goes.

speaking of "we'll see how it goes"... tonight was the first chance that Brady and I have gotten to talk to my honey about preschool.  honey was not at all thrilled with what he was hearing about Brady's class and has set up a phone appointment with Brady's teacher first thing in the morning (he would've just gone to the school himself but he'll be driving to Wyoming) and is going to request that he is moved to another classroom. I'm a little nervous and I've told him at least five times to make sure that he is nice and polite and and sensitive.  he assured me he would be but I'm still nervous.  so... we'll see how it goes.  Brady starting preschool has not at all been a smooth experience for me.  I'm just glad he's loving it soooo much that it's making it worth the huge headache.  wish us all luck going forward!

No comments: