Wednesday, August 30, 2017

chick fil a date

this is exactly what he used to do with Elizabeth.  I'm so glad he hasn't grown out of this.  he's just so naturally nurturing.  when I asked him a week or so ago why he wanted to learn to read, I thought he would for sure say it was so he could read books in the car like Abigail or so he could read chapter books like Abigail.  his response?  "I want to be able to read books to Andrew and Elizabeth."  he is just so sweet to them.

we dropped Abigail at school and went straight to the gym.  Brady requested that I pick them up sooner than last time so I let them play for an hour and then we went outside and I let them run around on the playground a bit.  we stopped by sprout for groceries and then went to chick fit a for lunch.  I took honey's chick fil a card and so we got two fruit cups and two giant drinks.  well, and the chicken sandwich, nuggets, and large waffle fries.  ; )  it was all delish.  the kids played in the play place for just a bit but really weren't that interested in it.






bless his neglected little heart.  he's getting more of a voice these days and will cry or yell if he's angry about something.  it's maybe once or twice a day... not sure.  but overall, he's just so patient with us.  thank goodness because we need it.

getting some fresh air.

Abigail's homework this week is to read 20 minutes and then write 1-4 sentences.  we did it on Monday, Chris and Abigail dropped the ball yesterday when I had my migraine so it didn't happen, and tonight we managed to get it done, although it was a long process.  over two hours actually.  this is how she was working on writing sentences.

so she completed her 20 minutes or so of reading with no problem and, after 45 minutes of writing, this is what we had.  it's supposed to say "Tiffany is the" but she wasn't quite all the way through the word "the."  eventually we got three whole sentences written.  with help from Christopher and myself, it took an hour and 45 minutes.

on that note, there was a lightening dismissal today and so we had to go inside of the school to pick Abigail up.  I said hi to her teacher and told her that I'd be sending an envelope to school with Abigail tomorrow and although I would let Abigail know to deliver it, could she please try to remember to receive it.  she asked something about it and I asked if she would be willing to fill out the Vanderbilt scale for Abigail.  then she asked a question about it and I answered and she, in semi-code speaking, said "I can see why you're doing this."  it made me feel simultaneously sad and reassured.  this teacher has spent exactly 15 days with Abigail.  so, sad that it's that obvious that quickly.  reassured that I'm doing the right thing in pursuing this and am completely justified in my thinking that something isn't right.  and then sad again because I know the hard road that lies ahead for her.  and my own mother knows the hard road that lies ahead for me.  deeeeep breaths.

Elizabeth went in my bathroom this evening and took off her pj pants.  when I was about to take her to bed, I couldn't find them anywhere in my room.  she kept telling me they were in "mommy's room" but I couldn't see them.  finally, it occurred to me to look in my closet.  I laughed out loud when I saw them on the bench in my closet.  that's where I throw my clothes that I've worn but aren't ready to be put in the dirty clothes basket... y'know... like a pair of pjs pants.  that girl is just so observant.  also, she's getting really good at knowing where we throw stuff away.  regular trash can go in whatever trashcan is closest, diapers go in the kitchen trashcan, recycling goes in the blue bin in the garage, etc.  recycling is her favorite.  it's probably also my favorite word to hear her say right now.

last week, I typed in "1 2 3 magic" into our library website search and just put everything that came up on hold.  and then I got the audiobook on hoopla so I wouldn't have to wait.  well, I picked everything up at the library yesterday and it was just sitting on our island tonight when Abigail asked about it.  "it'll help me be a better parent and you to be a better listener" I told her but she was still eying the stuff.  then I was all "oh, yeah, that's actually a kids book.  you can read it sometime if you want."  "I want to read it right now!" and then she skipped off to the red chair with the book.  and read it all in one sitting.  she didn't say anything about it though and I didn't ask her.  maybe tomorrow.  I'm genuinely curious what was in it and what she got out of it.

also, I'm thrilled that she's eagerly reading books even if they're not about fairies.

No comments: