Saturday, August 26, 2017

my Saturday of energy

for the third Saturday in a row, honey woke up and went golfing with friends.  since this has happened two times recently, I knew how this would go.  it was like I could see into the future... except that everything happened even earlier than I thought it would.

I was in the process of waking up to Andrew's stirring when Brady walked in to climb in bed with me... at 6:20.  what the heck?!  so we snuggled and I fed Andrew and then I heard Elizabeth by 6:40 maybe and then Abigail woke up at 6:50 I think.  so don't worry... our entire family was up and at 'em before 7am.  thank goodness for Andrew that he didn't wake up during the night so I actually wasn't tired today, even starting the day in a less than ideal way.  honey took Brady golfing with him so I just had the three with me until 9:30.  last night before bed I'd made a half recipe of baked French toast so I put that in the oven this morning and it made the day feel a little happier and more special.  and I finally cut up a watermelon that's been sitting around for weeks.  not sure why but I couldn't for the life of me remember to cut that thing up.  I told all the kids to remind me to cut up watermelon for breakfast though so we made that happen. contrary to the picture... Elizabeth loved it.  I put that giant bowl on the table for Elizabeth and Abigail and they just went at it with their forks.  we do family style.




Elizabeth is a character.  she is so funny and so sweet but so horribly disobedient.  maybe implementing the strategies from this parenting book will help her out too.

honey took Abigail and Brady to the pool.  Abigail had a pool party there from 10:30-12:30.  I had Elizabeth nap during that time... 10:45-12:45.  and Andrew was napping during that time.  I did depressing stuff like cleaning up everyones messes from the morning.  ; )

Abigail had a primary activity at the church from 4-6 but Brady wasn't old enough to go so honey took him and Elizabeth on a bike ride to the school's playground and then he came home and made us burgers for dinner.

Elizabeth was somehow taking selfies in my bathroom while still wearing her bib from dinner?  not sure how the stars aligned to make this happen but there it is.

and then honey went to fight night at 7 at a friend's house while I put all the kids to bed... with no fights or tears!  well, not involving me.  they still have their own issues with each other.

I have no idea how, but I'm grateful for the energy and motivation I've felt today.  doing motherhood from 6:15am- current (8:45pm) and all the cleaning and care taking that go along with that.  I did multiple reading lessons with Brady and two writing lessons with Abigail and read the three kids books in Abigail's room when it was too hot to play outside and maintained my patience pretty well even when there were a number of times that it should have felt much harder than it did.  I never felt like I needed to escape or have alone time which is so foreign to me.  I'm still wondering how it happened and what kind of a fluke that was but mostly I'm just grateful.  even when honey sent kids to their rooms for quiet time, I got them out for reading lessons and then for all of us to read together in Abigail's room.  just because I wanted to spend time with them instead of by myself. I'm still having trouble believing that that happened.  what an exciting day for that to have happened.

No comments: