Thursday, August 10, 2017

a new school year!

last night, I asked Abigail if she wanted me to walk her to her teacher (they line up by class in the back of the school) or just drop her off in the carpool line and have her walk by herself.  "I want to walk by myself." are you sure? you just want me to drop you off for you to walk back alone? "no, I want to walk by myself... like from home.  I want to walk to school by myself like the big kids."  

for all the struggles that come with this kid, I sure don't have to worry about her being excited and confident enough to handle the first day of second grade.


and she's off.

why is she the only one walking to the back of the school you ask? well, that's because she was late.  on the first day.  I'm that mom.  apparently I'm the only mom that is that mom...y'know, judging by the fact that no one else's kid was late walking to the back of the school.  whoops.  luckily there was a first day of school little assembly outside before all the classes walked in so it wasn't a huge deal and she was fine just walking on back there.

well, walking and frolicking.  frequent frolicking for this girl.

and because I was worried about her finding her class (although not sure what I would have done if I noticed she was having trouble... been the weird mom to run from my car to the field to rescue my kid?), I drove home by way of the street that loops around the back of the school.  I watched her walk up to that giant mass of people (parents were invited for the assembly part, just not to go in the school), and then just stand there.  eventually I saw a teacher wrap her arm around her and guide her into the crowd.  for me as a child, this would have been totally traumatizing not knowing where to go.  It just occurred to me right now that Abigail never mentioned it this afternoon when she was telling me about school.  didn't phase her.

so it took the next three hours of the morning basically to get myself and three kids dressed and fed and ready to go to Brady's preschool meet and greet.  he has three teachers this year and we had a little 20 minute meeting where we got to sit down and talk to them for a bit about Brady and his interests and our hopes for preschool this school year.  it was good.  I'm excited for him to go to the same school as Abigail.  for some reason, I have happy thoughts of them passing each other in the hallway and one of them jumping out of line to give the other one a hug.  and I have to laugh at that because I'm just they'll just spank each other and spit at the other person while saying something super loving like "poopy butt" because Brady loves potty talk.  but still.

on the way home, Brady begged me to stop at the playground and I didn't even have an excuse not to.  Elizabeth didn't get up till 11:30 (she woke up during the night last night... and the night before... I think she's teething) because she was so tired, so she didn't even need to get back for a nap.  and we'd eaten before we went to the meeting.  so we stopped at the playground and played for a while.  Lucy and Presley (Stephanie had texted me earlier that they were going to the pool) came to join us after I saw their car still at the pool and texted Stephanie to come say hi and play if they wanted.  so they walked over and joined us for a bit and that was fun.



since when did Brady turn into such a big kid?!?!  I feel like I have moments where I look at him and am all "holy cow! you're HUGE! why do you look so old?!?!"

I seriously can't even handle it.







so after we got home from the park, the plan was to change Elizabeth's diaper, wake and feed Andrew, and then be on our way to drop off our paint samples and application papers to the HOA office in centennial.  but I procrastinated a bit and got distracted combing out Elizabeth's hair (have I mentioned before that she has cradle cap again? as a two year old?!) for-ev-er and eventually honey texted that he would be home in 20 minutes (he had meetings in greeley).  I thought this was great that I could drop stuff off at the HOA place with one or two less kids, but the kids wanted to come so I still had three.  at least honey was home to get Abigail from school so he did that while I took the kids to centennial.

on the way home, we drove through the library book drop to return a bunch of Abigail's fairy books.  I'm not sure what event was going on on the library lawn, but this catering truck that we drove by made me smile.  it was for some wood fired pizza or something.  and then on our way home, I drove through this neighborhood I've decided I want to live in.  as of last night, I've decided this.  so, we'll see how long this lasts before it's replaced by something else.

last night was a bit chaotic and disorganized.  tonight was our night for back to school blessings.  Abigail went first.  and then me, because I requested on and I have kids going back to school so that counts (although I gave Abigail that answer when she asked me and somehow she heard that it was because I was going to be a teacher this year so later she was asking me where I was teaching and who the kids would be... whoops).  and then Brady, even though he doesn't start school till Tuesday.  and I thought we were done except that as soon as Brady hopped out of the chair, Elizabeth ran over and said it was her turn.  climbed in, folded her arms, closed her eyes, and she started praying.  so, we asked her and she said that she wanted a blessing.  so Elizabeth also got a back to school blessing.  this is seriously the most entertaining age.  she is so hilarious.


also, she's recently become obsessed with Christopher each night.  and just to mention, ever since we came home from our trip to the beach, she hates bedtime and naps... but bedtime most.  she'll run away from me when I tell her it's time for pjs and to pick out a book.  so weird since at the beach, she was always begging me to put her in the pack n play for naps and bedtime.

fyi, Abigail's first day of school was great and her favorite part was when she ate lunch.  ; )

and here I am at almost 1am again.  someday, I'll start going to bed at 9.  that's my goal for this school year.  the whole house asleep by nine.  I've got big dreams.

speaking of dreams though, the reason Abigail was semi late for school this morning was because I slept in by accident.  I was awake some last night when Elizabeth woke up and then an hour or so later when Andrew woke up to eat.  not like I was up all night, but when you go to bed around 1 am every night and are waking up once in the middle and getting up for the day around 7, it's just consistent sleep deprivation.  so I had an alarm go off on my old iPhone (Elizabeth must have turned those on somehow) that went off 15 minutes before my current phone's alarm was supposed to go off.  so I went back to sleep for what I thought would be 15 minutes but ended up being an hour and 15 minutes because I didn't wake up until Abigail, fully dressed, was standing by my bed at 8:30 telling me that she was ready for breakfast.  so, late for the first day.  makes me think of last year when I was out of town for her first day of school (so honey picked her up) and then on the second day, I set my alarm and took a nap but my alarm sound was set for "silent" instead of a song or noise so it never woke me up because it was just popping up on the screen.  and so I was getting calls from the school and honey to pick up my kid on the first day because school got out 20 minutes ago.  gosh, I sure hope this tradition doesn't continue.  I struggle.  ; )

No comments: