Wednesday, October 3, 2012

pregnancy brain almost made my night suck

instead of writing "night" i accidentally wrote "life" which should give you an indication (if you've never experienced it personally) of how dramatic pregnancy hormones are.  and i'm already a super emotional person so i'll just go ahead and one up you on that.

even though i knew honey would be out of town, i've been excited about watching the debate tonight.  i had sweet visions of baby girl, snuggly blankets, and kettle corn dancing through my head.  but this afternoon my sister in law invited me to a card making night at church.  my first inclination was to say no.  kinda because of the debate but mostly because i tend to feel anti-social when i'm pregnant.

but i said yes because
1. isn't that what DVR is for?  so you don't have to watch live tv when you have something else going on? and  
2. i like to see other people make cards and be creative and i thought it would be good for baby and i to have an outing tonight instead of just sitting home and being restless.  
well, i had assumed it was at kelsey's church building but thought i should double check.  and here's where pregnancy brain kicks in... i thought if it was at her church building she would say "my building" or "the building across the street from my neighborhood" or "the newlin meadows building."  but she said "the stake center on chambers" which lead me to think it was the church building over past my in laws (still in their stake boundaries) that is also on a road called chambers.  my pregnant brain thought that she phrased it that way to clarify that it was the other chambers road... not the one right by her house.  so i drove 25 mins (that's a long way here in parker where everything is normally within five minutes of your doorstep) to the wrong church building and then when i determined that i was 100% most definitely in the wrong place, i loaded baby girl in the car to head back home.  which was sad because she kept telling me that she wanted kelsey (on the way she was whining for a number of very legit reasons and i promised her that if she would just be happy for the rest of the car ride, she could play with aunt kelsey... and she immediately stopped whining and was perfect and happy the rest of the way there) and i felt guilty for not being able to deliver on my promise.

so then i was an angry mess as i drove home and cried (what?  don't tell me you would expect anything different) and tried to place blame anywhere but on myself (right down to texting and the english language) and eventually received a tender mercy when the thought came to me clear as a public service announcement, "eventually you'll see that this is just as frivolous as when you cried about downeast shirts no longer on sale" and i instantly felt better.  i didn't feel great, but i felt less crappy and angry than i had five seconds prior.  i was worried this would throw me off and i'd be headed downhill for the rest of the night but thankfully that was not the case.  we went home and i turned the tv volume on full blast so i could catch bits of the debate while i half-heartedly read to abigail and tried to tune out her constant narrative of what she was seeing and thinking.  don't worry, i definitely felt guilty while i was doing this.  that means i still have a conscience.

and the night got better.  mitt did a great job with the debate (was it just me or did obama seem half asleep and a little irritated?) and baby girl was precious and kept making me laugh.  she's hilarious.



on the way home she kept asking for kelsey so i told her we'd play with kelsey another day but that we were headed home to watch mitt romney and obama on tv.  so we pulled into our neighborhood as she let our her usual "we made it home!  it's abigail's house!" and followed it up with "i wanna watch mitt romney obama."  HA.

"it's beach balls!  it's beach balls!"  totally caught me off guard and made me laugh out loud.

oh you still girl.

this also caught me off guard.  i realized she'd stopped her continuous talking and i looked over to see her  concentrating so hard to get these foam stickers (from joy school craft today) to stick to her face.  
it occupied her for a good long time (at least five minutes) so i took a video (oh alright, i took two... but here is just one).


2 comments:

ok said...

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE post a video of "Mitt Romney Obama"!!!!!!!

ok said...

Oh my gosh I am DYING!!!!!!!!!! She is hilariously insanely adorable!!! Mitt ... Romney... Obaaaahma.